Friday 9 January 2015

New year, new ideas

I have often used black plastic bags in classes for tonal observation studies as their shiny surface means you can usually observe bright highlights and dark shadows. I never really took much notice of their form, but realised a few days ago that I could create interesting sculptural pieces based on the plastic bags that have held my clutter for the past months. The first of these started with observational sketches which exaggerated the triangular facets a bit and since then I have been developing several  ideas for how to make them. The first one started with an A2 canvas sheet which had been painted to use up the remaining acrylic paint on my palette recently. I wanted the outside to look rough and uninviting as we normally associate black bags with rubbish. I decided to keep the sheet in one piece and sketched a plan for cutting the sides, but let it develop its own form as I pinched, pulled and folded the sides together. The stitching was haphazard and irregular as I want to contrast the rough exterior with the inside which may contain something precious. I left a hole in the side so you can look in at the contents and haven't fully decided yet if this will be the only opening. I considered painting the inside or inserting one of the embroidered pieces that I have already created, as this is painted in metallic paint and neatly stitched. I tried different fabric linings next and have decided to go with the contrasting apple green. It's still a work in progress, and others will follow, so watch this space.



No comments:

Post a Comment